Members of the public who have a potential concern about either a child or adult can use the contact details provided below.  If you are unsure about making a report, the Frequently Asked Questions section below can help to answer some common queries.

Blackpool Council - ADULTS

Telephone: 01253 477592 (Emergency out of hours telephone: 01253 477600)

E-Mail: adult.socialcare@blackpool.gov.uk

More information:  https://www.blackpool.gov.uk/Residents/Health-and-social-care/Social-care-for-adults/Adult-social-services/Safeguarding-adults.aspx

Lancashire County Council - CHILDREN

Telephone: 0300 123 6720

Telephone (out of hours): 0300 123 6722

More information: https://www.lancashire.gov.uk/children-education-families/keeping-children-safe/tell-us-if-you-are-worried-about-a-child/

Lancashire County Council - ADULTS

Telephone: 0300 123 6720

Telephone (out of hours): 0300 123 6722

More information:  https://www.lancashire.gov.uk/health-and-social-care/adult-social-care/safeguarding-adults/

Blackburn with Darwen Council - CHILDREN

Telephone: 01254 666400 (08:45-17:00 Monday to Friday)

Telephone: 01254 587547 (Out of hours – Emergency Duty Team)

More information:  https://www.blackburn.gov.uk/children-and-young-people/child-protection

Blackburn with Darwen Council - ADULTS

Telephone: 01254 585949

Telephone: 01254 587547 (Out of hours – Emergency Duty Team)

E-mail: safeguarding.adults@blackburn.gov.uk

More information:  https://www.blackburn.gov.uk/adult-social-care/adult-protection

FAQ #1: I'm not sure if I should make a report - what if I'm wrong?

But what if you’re right? You don’t need to be sure that a child or young person has been abused or harmed – it’s OK to report a suspicion.

FAQ #2: Can I get advice before I make a report?

Whether you want to report child abuse and neglect or aren’t sure what to do, you can talk to the NSPCC who will listen to your concern and can offer advice and support.

NSPCC telephone lines are open Monday to Friday (8am – 10pm) or at the weekends (9am – 6pm). You can get in touch online or by e-mail 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Find out more at: https://www.nspcc.org.uk/keeping-children-safe/reporting-abuse/report

FAQ #3: What should I report?

Child abuse can include physical, emotional and sexual abuse or may involve neglect. The NSPCC website provides useful information about the signs of child abuse and can be found at: https://www.nspcc.org.uk/what-is-child-abuse/types-of-abuse

FAQ #4: What happens when a report is made?

The person who answers your call will decide what to do.  They may decide to:

  • gather additional information;
  • request a social worker investigate;
  • decide to contact the Police (if they believe the child is at immediate risk).

When making a report, it is useful to remember to describe rather than diagnose the issue.  The relevant children’s social care team will tell you what happens next although they will not be able to give you any confidential information.

FAQ #5: Who should I contact to report my concern?

Important: If you have any concerns that a Child is in immediate danger – call the Police immediately on 999
If not believed to be in immediate danger, which contact details you use will depend on which Local Authority covers your area. However, it is more important to make a report so use your best judgement from the options provided above and the team will guide you.